Birch Horton Bittner & Cherot attorneys understand that it is best when disputes are quickly and amicably resolved without the burden and expense of a lawsuit. However, when litigation is required, our litigators are second to none.
With many years of experience, National Institute for Trial Advocacy training and many jury and bench trials among them, our aggressive litigators are forces to be reckoned with in the courtroom. But they’re also well versed in alternative dispute resolution processes, including arbitration; mediation; adversary hearings before state, federal and private sector hearing officers (including borough personnel and state commissioners); and administrative hearings in areas as diverse as those required by the Federal Aviation Administration and the Regulatory Commission of Alaska.
This breadth and depth of expertise also enables us to provide a litigation client an early analysis of likely outcomes and an estimate of the reserve that ought to reasonably be established against a potential liability. With the experience of representing a number of the most well-known organizations in the business, we also have the capacity to provide our clients with proposed litigation budgets that are practical and consistent and lead to excellent results.
Representative clients have included:
- Lloyds of London
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Nabors Industries Ltd.
- Cook Inlet Region, Inc.
- Alaska Interstate Construction LLC
- Association of Village Council Presidents Regional Housing Authority
- Alaska Housing Finance Corporation
- Alaska Energy Authority
- Alaska Industrial Development and Export Authority
- Alaska Native village and regional corporations
- Several of Alaska’s leading architectural design and engineering firms
Reported cases include:
- Hagland Aviation Services, Inc. v. Harms, No. 6379, 210 P.3d 444 (Alaska 2009)
- Beal, et al. v. McGuire, et al., 216 P.3d 1154 (Alaska 2009)
- Guerrero v. Alaska Housing Finance Corporation, 123 P.3d 966 (Alaska 2005)
- Casciola v. F.S. Air Service, Inc., 120 P.2d 1059 (Alaska 2005)
- Laidlaw Transit, Inc. v. Anchorage School District, 118 P.3d 1018 (Alaska 2005)
- Anderson v. State ex rel. Central Bering Sea Fishermen’s Ass’n, 78 P.3d 710 (Alaska 2003)
- Tush v. Pharr, 68 P.3d 1239 (Alaska 2003)
- K&K Recycling, Inc. v. Alaska Gold Co., 80 P.3d 702 (Alaska 2003)
- Central Bering Sea Fishermen’s Ass’n v. Anderson, 54 P.3d 271 (Alaska 2002)
- Lynden Inc. v. Walker, 30 P.3d 609 (Alaska 2001)
- Alaska Continental, Inc. v. Trickey, 933 P.2d 528 (Alaska 1997)
- Neal & Co., Inc. v. Association of Village Council Presidents Regional Housing Authority, 895 P.2d 497 (Alaska 1995).
David Karl Gross
James H. Lister
Adam W. Cook
Mara E. Michaletz
Aaron D. Sperbeck
William A. Earnhart
Matthew C. Widmer