Sarah A. Badten
- Of Counsel
Ms. Badten focuses her practice primarily on Community Association Law, representing homeowner and condominium associations. She has represented over 100 homeowners and condominium associations in many diverse areas of Alaska. Ms. Badten provides timely responses to clients' day-to-day needs based on over 15 years of working on association-related issues.
Ms. Badten prides herself on zealously advocating for the rights of owners' associations and condo associations. She has expertise in the Uniform Common Interest Ownership Act, the Horizontal Property Regimes Act and other relevant statutes related to representing associations, including the Nonprofit Corporations Act. In conjunction with representing associations, Ms. Badten works closely with property management companies to ensure association legal needs are met effectively and efficiently. Ms. Badten utilizes the entire law firm and support staff for legal assistance on HOA matters and other matters which may arise.
The cornerstone of Ms. Badten’s representation of associations is responsiveness, timeliness, and following matters through to completion. The core of her association legal work involves governing document enforcement (i.e., Declaration, Bylaws, House Rules), including the collection of dues assessments and foreclosure of the association’s lien on an owner’s property where necessary, as well as enforcement of the association’s super-priority lien, where applicable. Ms. Badten routinely enforces association governing documents on matters other than assessments, including architectural controls and nuisance violations. Additionally, she advises associations on the interpretation of their governing documents, providing clarification and meaning to the contract provisions.
Ms. Badten also advises on contract disputes, real estate disputes, creditor’s rights, landlord-tenant law (landlords), secured transactions, and commercial litigation.
Before attending law school, Ms. Badten provided marketing solutions as an account manager for companies in diverse industries, gaining practical experience in problem solving for her career as a litigation attorney.
- Willamette University College of Law, Salem, Oregon
- J.D. - 2006
- Oregon State University
- B.S. - 1998
Admitted to Practice
- Alaska, 2007
- Alaska State Bar Association, 2007
- Community Associations Institute, Member al Large
- Groh Eggers, LLC, Anchorage, Alaska, Partner/Member, 2012 to 2016
- Groh Eggers, LLC, Anchorage, Alaska, Associate, 2011
- Dunn Carney Allen Higgins & Tongue LLP, Portland, Oregon, Associate, 2006 to 2007
Classes & Seminars
- Various topics on homeowners and condominium assoc, Community Associations Institute, 2017 to Present
- Association's Super-priority lien in Alaska, Groh Eggers, LLC, 2013
- Anchorage Daily News ‘Achievement in Business’ Award Recipient, 2020