Pitts, George R.
George R. Pitts
Mr. Pitts joined the firm in 2020. His practice focuses on Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights and Commercial Litigation. He has represented debtors, national and regional financial institutions, financing companies, franchisors, creditors' committees, trustees, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), and the Resolution Trust Corporation (RTC) in bankruptcy cases throughout the United States. His practice also includes business and commercial litigation, out-of-court workouts and loan restructurings.
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia
- J.D. - 1983
- University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. - 1977
- University of Pennsylvania
- M.A. - 1975
- Swarthmore College
- B.A. - 1972
- Honors: With High Honors
Admitted to Practice
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- American Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of the City of Richmond, Board of Directors (1991 – 1992) and Chairman, Bankruptcy Section
- Director’s Council, University of Pennsylvania Museum
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Virginia Opera
- Mr. Pitts has handled bankruptcy cases in the bankruptcy courts of the states of New York, Delaware, Michigan, California, Texas, Nevada, Illinois, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, Florida, and the District of Columbia.
- Mr. Pitts has handled numerous matters in state and federal courts involving receiverships, mechanics’ liens, collections, foreclosures, and issues arising under the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC).
- Mr. Pitts is experienced in both jury and non-jury trials in the federal and state courts involving matters such as unfair competition, insurance, business torts, commercial disputes, truth in lending, fair credit reporting, partnership disputes, and real estate.
- Mr. Pitts has served as lead counsel in appellate matters, including reported cases from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and the Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Some of the representations listed above were handled by Mr. Pitts prior to his joining Birch Horton Bittner & Cherot.
- Four Questions You Should Ask Before You Sign an Engagement Agreement Bloomberg BNA’s Corporate Counsel Weekly, March 20, 2013
- More Than Was Dreamt of in Your Philosophy: Recent Developments and Familiar Principles in Chapter 11 Cases From Inside the Minds: Creditors’ Rights In Chapter 11 Cases-Leading Lawyers on Identifying and Protecting the Rights of Secured and Unsecured Creditors During Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases, 2010
- The Triumph of Hope over Experience: Identification of Commingled Funds Financier Worldwide, November 2006
- Through a Balance Sheet Darkly: Viewing ‘Deepening Insolvency’ Face to Face Financier Worldwide, October 2005
- Rights to Future Payment as Property of the Estate under Section 541 of the Bankruptcy Code The American Bankruptcy Law Journal, Winter 1990
- Barratry as a Covered Risk in Marine Insurance: Problems and Perspective Journal of Maritime Law and Commerce, April 1983
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation-Bankruptcy, 2015-2023
- Virginia Super Lawyers, 2016–2018
- Research Fellow, American Council of Learned Societies
- National Merit Scholar
- Teaching Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania
- Listed, Lawyer of the Year, Litigation-Bankruptcy, 2021